Sunday, July 18, 2010

Digital Literacy Project

Summer Individual Investigation Program Statement
Summer 2010
Karen J. Reiber
Dr. Tim Rasinski
My Project: Digital Literacy
Background: I have spent the last 9 years working on information literacy skills (in the media center) with 7th and 8th graders in the middle school where I work and I have observed that students obtain information very differently from digital resources than print resources. Teachers teach students how to read from text books and other print sources but I have not observed anyone actually teaching strategies for reading from the internet or databases. What I have found 7th and 8th graders, although digital natives, lack in these literacy skills.
Goal: To formulate literacy strategies that I can teach staff and students to become more efficient and effective digital users.
Objectives:
I will review do a literature review, summarize at least 10 articles and post all sources that were reviewed.
I will keep a reflection journal (perhaps a blog) to post my thoughts and keep track of hours spent for this independent study.
I will come up with some teaching strategies for students and staff to use to increase their digital literacy skills.

Respectfully submitted,
Karen J. Reiber

No comments:

Post a Comment